The WWF panda logo is well known all over the world and speaks volumes about the organization. WWF is the world’s leading conservation organization, WWF works in 100 countries and is supported by 1.2 million members in the United States and close to 5 million globally. WWF’s unique way of working combines global reach with a foundation in science, involves action at every level from local to global, and ensures the delivery of innovative solutions that meet the needs of both people and nature. Graphic designer Yana Makarevich believes that it could say even more through the logo. She tried to show that the situation is critical to many species.
I always look at any brand and project with a question: How can it say more to people? Sometimes this potential grows farther than the brands actually use. I also want to say that it is probably the most tragic dynamic identity that it was created so far.
I think that everyone should help non-commercial organizations in any way they can. I think that style is a big problem for designers, you should find new ways every time to solve any problem. My inspiration comes from some classics like Ogilvy, Bernbach, and for now is Sagmeister&Walsh, Jason Little, and Wolff Olins.
My advice to aspiring artists:
1. When you started to feel tight in your sphere, don’t play for time, find your development. Movement is a life and the life of the designer – is a permanent work.
2. Design is very difficult; if it isn’t, you missed something.
3. Read books. You should always have time for it.
4. Set goals that can be achieved with a margin of time for their implementation.
5. Even just one imperfectly done work negates all your past merits.
But at first, learn the basics and repeat it.
About Yana Makarevich
Yana Makarevich has worked in branding since 2010. She graduated from a Belarusian State University where she studied Graphic Design. Her interests extend far beyond just design, including strategy, advertising, illustration, etc. You can see more of her work by visiting her Dribble and Behance profile.